Thursday 21 March 2013

Beer's not the most important thing

On Wednesday I was invited to speak at the annual Trade Association Forum conference.  I was there to let the audience know about our work transitioning the consumer codes approval scheme from the OFT to the Institute.  I believe that approved codes provide a real opportunity to add some meat to self-regulation and leave the rogues isolated.
The budget was screened live during the conference and Anthony Hilton (the Financial Editor of the Evening Standard) provided some pre-budget thoughts.  It was certainly interesting when the news of the Evening Standard publishing details of the budget online before the speech broke!  Whilst the news on alcohol and fuel were good news for me personally, as the Chief Executive of an SME I was particularly interested in the announcements on national insurance contributions and corporation tax and their impact on our business.
Also speaking at the conference was Jo Swinson MP, Minister for Employment Relations and Consumer Affairs.  She spoke with great passion about how we support diversity in the board room – so passionately that she convinced me to sign up to Inspiring the Future ( http://www.inspiringthefuture.org/) to give an hour of my time to speak to young people about my career and role.  She also showed great confidence in the trading standards profession in delivering reduced consumer detriment in the new landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment