Tuesday 5 March 2013

Time for leaders to show their stuff and match Ron’s legacy!


I had the pleasure of attending and addressing the Association of Chief Trading Standards Officers (ACTSO) meeting.    It was good to see old colleagues and hear about the continued successes of the National Trading Standards Board in overseeing  grants and activity for national enforcement matters.

Before I set out some of my thoughts about how the Institute would move forward I was able to pay tribute publicly to the work of my predecessor, Ron Gainsford.  Ron has not only left me a business in very good health but has raised the profile of the profession and Institute greatly.  The faith that central government and others have in us can be traced to Ron’s hard work.  On behalf of us all - many thanks Ron.

Going forward I see an open and collaborative Institute – one where we will be prepared to take tough decisions and stances, but where everyone should feel that they have a voice.  There is a clear reliance on each other – strong services need a strong profession which itself needs a strong Institute.  But our institute cannot thrive without the support of the profession and services.

As I listened to a debate about our joint response to the horsemeat “crisis” I was greatly heartened to hear Heads of Service who, whilst being self-reflective and critical, were up for the challenges ahead.  As the leaders of our profession in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales face the challenges before them I offer them the full support of both the Institute and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment