Friday 1 March 2013

Week two, Roy and where's my bonus!!!

As I come to the end of week two I'm reflecting that I am no longer the new boy.  This is not because I have miraculously got my head around all the internal systems and processes we have, but on Monday we were joined by Roy Martin.  Roy joins us as our new finance director bringing a wealth of experience.  I can see from all the spreadsheets, graphs and charts he's looking at that our finances are in good hands.
Other than running a small business and looking after members concerns it is also important to support the wide range of people we rely on.  Our lead officers, for example, provide a valuable source of expertise and I see that we've put out a press release quoting Stephanie Young (our animal health and welfare lead officer) about the need to improve the animal passport system.  The full press release is available http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/extra/news-item.cfm/newsid/1082 On a related issue our network of President (the wonderful Christine Crawley) and Vice-Presidents do an amazing job of representing the needs of the organisation and wider profession and part of my week has been working out how we can better support them.
Finally I did note with interest that Antonio Horta-Osorio, Chief Executive of the Lloyds Banking Group has been awarded a bonus of £1.5m – albeit in deferred shares.  I wonder whether the Institute's board's drive for equity and fairness in the market place extends to executive pay!!
Have a good weekend
Leon

No comments:

Post a Comment